Focal Point | EMENA
Born in Cairo 1970.
Researcher and freelance translator, he is currently working as a consultant in the field of economic, social and cultural rights. Since 1997 he has worked in the field of land and housing rights with Egyptian, regional and international human rights organizations. He has writings and research papers in the field of social sciences, particularly social movements and collective work. He contributed to the establishment of regional and international forums in the field of land, housing and water rights that constituted a shift in the scientific and legal treatment of the civil society and NGOs with land, housing and water issues and the
convergence of human rights and technical efforts at the local, regional and international levels. He is a cofounder and organizer of the Land Forum in MENA - as well as the Land Times bulletin, and the Right to Water Forum in the Arab region. He also a co-founder of the Egypt Social Progress Indicator (ESPI) platform with a group of prominent researchers and activists in the field of ESC rights, in cooperation with the Center for Economic and Social Rights in New York, and in support of Oxfam Novib.
Among his published works:
- The Land and Its People: Civil Society Voices Address the Crisis over Natural Resources in the Middle East/North Africa, March 2015.
- Land Times, the electronic bulletin of HRLN Land Forum in MENA, founder and editor (2010- 2015).
- Arabic translation of Back to Development, Global Advocacy Team of the International Accountability Project, September 2015
- Social Movements and Protesting Actions in the Arab World , with a group of prominent Arab researchers, Arab Forum for Alternatives, Arab Center for Studies, March, 2011.
- Arabic translation of Planet of Slums, by Mike Davis, NTC, 2012.
- Arabic Translation of the Unthinking Eurocentrism, by Ella Shohat and Robert Stam, Manshurat al-Jamal, 2019.