Are you passionate about people-centred data? Do you have experience with citizen-led monitoring initiatives? Want to contribute to building a better, more inclusive land data ecosystem?
We are looking for a motivated, experienced data and land monitoring specialist to join our ILC team in Asia. The ideal candidate will have experience with citizen-generated or other kinds of data related to land governance, especially the use of diverse data sources in processes of accountability.
Required: Fluency in English, experience with basic data analysis software
Preferred: Advanced data analysis and visualization software such as R, Stata and Tableau
Deadline: 28 May 2023
Type of contract: Consultancy
Duration: One year, renewable depending on performance and funding availability. Three month probation period.
Duty station: Jakarta, Indonesia or home-based, with flexible work arrangements.
The International Land Coalition is a global alliance of civil society and intergovernmental organisations working together to put people at the centre of land governance. The shared goal of ILC's 300+ members is to realise land governance for and with people at the country level, responding to the needs and protecting the rights of women, men and communities who live on and from the land. In Asia, ILC currently has 95 members spread across 28 Asian countries.
The Asia Data Lead will work as part of the Asia Regional Coordination Unit and ILC global One Team reporting directly to the Asia Regional Coordinator and the Global Data and Land Monitoring Lead. They will lead regional efforts to implement ILC’s Strategic Objective 2: Data for Accountability, from the 2030 ILC Strategy, including efforts to strengthen data capacities among Asia-based members and rollout of the Asia Regional Data Package.
- Lead the implementation of SO-2 in Asia and develop a regional data-for-accountability plan, including key moments, actors and spaces.
- Support the development of member workplans and strategies that effectively integrate plans to generate, analyse and use data for accountability in strategic national and regional spaces.
- Support uptake of ILC-supported data and land monitoring tools and initiatives and identify opportunities for ILC
- Provide technical support and guidance to Asian members, with a focus on National Land Coalitions (NLCs) and regional platforms.
- Accompany members as they implement LANDex and other ILC-supported data tools, delivering training and follow-up support meetings as needed.
- Monitor implementation of ILC Asia data-related contracts to ensure compliance with deadlines and agreed deliverables.
- Contribute to ILC Asia resource mobilization efforts in the region where a data component is involved; support development of content and activities that are in line with existing data work.
- Identify key data partners in the region and lead regional partnership building with key stakeholders, including national statistical bodies and other data custodians.
- Identify strategic moments for regional data engagement and support member participation in these spaces.
- Work with ILC One Team to support annual reporting, as well as M&E and KML cycles.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in international development, data science, economics or other relevant degree.
- At least two years of experience working with citizen-led, community-based or other data initiatives aiming to capture diverse groups and perspectives.
- Familiar with mixed methods of data analysis, quantitative and qualitative experience.
- Proficiency with basic data and word processing tools. Being familiar with more advanced data processing tools and visualization software is an additional asset.
- Ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, multitask and work under pressure to meet individual project needs
- Being familiar with ILC's data work, including LANDex, LandMark, Land Matrix and/or other land data initiatives is a strong asset.
Fluency in English
How to apply
Applicants should send a CV and motivation letter, including three references and expected daily or monthly fee, to firstname.lastname@example.org with copies to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include "Asia Data Lead" in the subject.
The deadline for applications is May 20, 2023, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be identified before the deadline. Therefore, kindly send an application as soon as you can. We will be able to respond to short-listed candidates only.