The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the channel through which the Dutch Government communicates with foreign governments and international organisations. It coordinates and carries out Dutch foreign policy.
The Ministry's activities are based on the above objectives. They are:
- to maintain relations with other countries and international organisations;
- to promote cooperation with other countries;
- to help developing countries accelerate their social and economic developme nt through international cooperation;
- to promote the interests of Dutch nationals and the Netherlands abroad;
- to collect information on other countries and international developments for the Government and other interested parties;
- to provide information on Dutch policy and the Netherlands' position on international issues and developments;
- to present the Netherlands to the world;
- to deal with applications from and the problems of foreigners living in the Netherlands or seeking to enter or leave the country.