Working towards these commitments
Secure Tenure Rights
Transparent and accessible information
SIID promotes a vision of international development as a struggle for social justice and a space for activism and engagement. Our mission is to examine and explore the multiple, lived experiences of development and the struggles for a more just global settlement. Our starting point is that contemporary injustices, whether social, economic, political, cultural and environmental, cannot simply be resolved by economic growth. SIID, through its research and public engagement, tries to make a direct contribution to better understanding the challenges to building a fairer and more just world and to identifying some potential ways forward.
SIID seeks to make its contribution through: theorising development as a search for social justice in the face of sometimes multiple and overlapping situations of inequality; exploring in concrete and empirical settings the agency of people, communities and social organisations in claiming rights, well-being, health and equality, for example, land rights; a commitment to finding just solutions to development dilemmas, whether at the global, national, local or community level. We have a strong interest in agency, protest and expression, especially by and for people from the Global South; a commitment to co-producing research whenever it is appropriate to do so with international agencies, NGOs and people from/in the Global South─in ways that make our research more effective and more representative.
- To consolidate the University of Sheffield as a centre of excellence in research and engagement in relation to international development;
- To establish a distinctive understanding of international development, informed by ideas of social justice;
- To encourage high quality research and contribute to a dynamic research culture in international development in Sheffield ;
- To support graduate and early career academics in the area of international development ;
- To deliver public engagement and impact for and in international development, in accordance with the principles and practices of the University;
- To contribute to a better understanding of the challenges of international development and the importance of social justice in policies for development.