Business Advisor, Uganda
As a business advisor, you provide expert advice, coordinate advisory trajectories with clients (farmer cooperatives and organisations), have an advisory and broker role in the closing of business deals with financial institutions and the private sector. In order to achieve this, you initiate and maintain a network that includes cooperatives and farmers’ organisations, financial institutions, traders, service providers and other stakeholders in the value chain. You initiate and guide change trajectories with clients, and do lobby, mediate and support negotiation processes, as well as prepares business deals. This is therefore a dream job for you! At least if you are a real pioneer!
• Provide business development advice and facilitate change management to cooperatives that allow them to realise their business growth potential.
• Investigate opportunities to finance business plans of cooperatives, support the establishment of contacts and negotiate business agreements with banks, investors and other financiers (governments and the business sector).
• Help develop financially sustainable structures within cooperatives and farmers’ organisations to enhance their service provision and agricultural extension to their members.
• Provide clients with guidance relating to change trajectories, to promote the interests of farmers, associations and cooperatives, with the authorities of the relevant development stakeholders.
• Collect and systematise information about clients and advisory processes, such as financial reports and annual overviews.
• Build expertise in a specific area of interest (for example supply chain management, marketing or HR management) and/or on a specific subject or subject of current interest, with a focus on product development, in which he/she will act as the expert point of reference, both within and outside the organisation.
MBA/MA/MSC plus 5 years’ experience or a bachelor’s degree plus 8 years of experience, in business economics, cooperative management or a similar field of study.
Extensive experience in and knowledge of one or more of the fields in which Agriterra achieves results, such as cooperative business development, market development, agricultural service provision, entrepreneurship, governance, and financial management.
Relevant practical knowledge and experience in the Ugandan agri & food and/or cooperative sector. Knowledge of SACCO would be a big asset.
Flexible, able and willing to frequently travel and stay in rural places (up to 60%) but based in Kampala.
Computer literate (Microsoft Package).
Enthusiastic, focuses on results and service, and with adequate advisory or training skills.
Team oriented, entrepreneurial, practical (hands on expertise).
Appreciative communication skills and attitude. With high level of proficiency in English.
What we have to offer
A position which requires you to be highly self-reliant and use your pioneering skills in order to operate in dynamic international markets and in close cooperation with the agricultural business sector. At Agriterra, the work environment is collegial and ambitious, and the focus is on achieving results. As a business advisor, you will be working under the direct supervision of the country representative and will be part of the local team of business advisors as well as other African country teams. Agriterra is offering a full-time position for a period of one year, with the intention of extending the contract. The working conditions and additional benefits are good. The salary offered will depend on your background and relevant work experience.
Are you interested?
Are you interested in this position and do you fit the profile? Apply before February 15, 2019, with a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Only applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their application and CV through an e-mail to email@example.com. All application documents must be submitted before February 15, 2019.
Agriterra is a Dutch agri-agency that provides business development services to ambitious cooperatives and farmer organisations in developing and emerging economies. We assist them with advice and training by locally based business advisors and by deploying practitioners from the Dutch and international farmer organisations and (cooperative) companies; the so-called AgriPool experts. We apply a three-track approach: we make cooperatives bankable and create real farmer-led companies, we improve extension services to farmer members and we enhance farmer-government dialogues. Our advisory practice covers the full range of services on Management & Organisation, Financial Management, Governance, Business Development and Lobby & Advocacy. Agriterra works from local offices in a large number of countries. We work with selfsteering teams, so our employees are challenged to use every bit of determination, creativity and strategy to achieve our compelling goals. Being a self-steering organisation makes Agriterra an inspiring and challenging environment for professional growth and development. Agriterra has an annual turnover of approximately 15 million euros, is ISO certified and has over 130 employees, both in the Netherlands and abroad. In Uganda, Agriterra has been active since 2012. It supports co-operative farmer-led economic development in the dairy, sacco, coffee, oilseed sector in Kasese, Mitooma, Kabale, Lyantonde, Sheema, Kiruhura, Mbarara, Isingiro, Rakai, Masaka Districts.