The Southern African Confederation of Agricultural Unions (SACAU) is a regional membership-based organisation representing the common interests of farmers in southern Africa.
Its Secretariat is based in Centurion, Pretoria, South Africa.
SACAU is facilitating the establishment of a land network for southern Africa on behalf of one of its
partners and seeks to recruit a Programme Officer to spearhead this initiative which is expected to be fully
operational in 2023. The land network will be a multi-stakeholder forum of civil society organisations
bound together by the common interests on a fair and equitable access to farming land and secure tenure,
particularly for smallholder farmers.
Key responsibilities include:
1. Identify and mobilise various civil society organisations including farmers, women and land rights
based organisations, in the different countries in southern Africa for participation in this initiative
2. Spearheading the development of a strategy and operational plan for the network
3. Facilitating the registration of the network in southern Africa and the adoption of governance
4. Positioning of the network as a regional key player and voice for farmers and rural landholders in the
5. Mobilising financial, technical and other resources
6. Representing members of the network in policy processes and at different events and structures at
regional, continental and international levels
7. Undertaking and/ or facilitating policy analysis and research
8. Facilitating the development and adoption of policy positions
9. Organising learning, knowledge-sharing and exchanges
10. Development of an information database, including policies
11. Coordinating a common regional response on land issues in the region and beyond
12. Other related duties that may be assigned from time to time
Requirements: At least a post graduate qualification in social science, strategic management or
development-related field. Good general knowledge of land policies, tenure and governance systems in
the region. A minimum 10 years demonstrated practical experience in at least two of the following areas:
institutional development/ organisational strengthening, policy development, resource mobilisation/
fundraising, multi-stakeholder engagement and partnership development.