ILC Asia Vacancy: Communications Officer
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative and forward-thinking communications officer to join our Global Communications Team in Asia and help ILC stand out in a world where land rights are often overlooked. Can you help us shape the impressions we want to make, for the change we want to see?
Start date: 1 February 2019
Duration of assignment: Trial period of 3 months with the possibility of an extension
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
The Regional Coordination Unit in Asia is currently based in Jakarta, Indonesia, hosted by one of ILC’s members – the Consortium for Agrarian Reform (KPA) - a lead people's organization for agrarian reform in Indonesia.
The Asia communications officer will work as part of the Regional Coordination Unit and reporting directly to the Regional Coordinator, to ensure ILC Asia’s communications activities are reflective of the new operating model 2019-21, and to strengthen the communication strategies and capacities of our Asia members. He/She will work closely with the Global Communications Coordinator based in the ILC Secretariat as part of ILC’s one-team approach, to ensure consistent messaging and strategic communications approaches across the network.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Lead implementation of ILC Asia Communication Strategy and Framework (2019-21)
- Develop content and support management across ILC Asia web accounts – website, social media, etc.
- Provide technical advice and guidance in the area of communications to ILC Asia Platforms and Members (National Engagement Strategies, Commitment Based Initiatives, Facilities)
- Communicate ILC Asia key messages and results, while increasing visibility of ILC Asia to the Asian audience (public, CSOs, IGOS, Governments, Donors, Media)
- Pitch stories and op-eds to newswires and media outlets in Asia
- Develop, write and edit content for a full range of ILC communications products, such as articles, corporate material, photography, short videos, that are relevant to Asia audiences.
- Manage ILC Asia brand, ensuring proper usage and approach within the network
- Coordinate communications support team/service providers, including translators, editors, designers, etc.
Required skills and competencies:
- Proficiency in English (written and oral)
- Bachelor or advanced university degree in Journalism, Communications or a social sciences related field
- At least 3 (three) years experience in communications, web-publishing, social media, web-based editorial, and web-based management systems
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex policy issues into accessible products;
- Demonstrable creativity and a flair for identifying interesting and newsworthy stories and successfully pitching them to a range of media outlets;
- Excellent computer literacy, with familiarity with common content management software (DRUPAL, Wordpress), information technologies and web-based analytical tools (Sprout Social, Google Analytics), Mailchimp.
- Knowledge of networks and multi-stakeholder partnerships.
- Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritisation skills. Able to work under pressure and to deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team work based environment.
- Strong social interaction skills
- Availability to travel frequently
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively including communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
- Interest related to human rights, land, environment, gender, Indigenous Peoples, and social movements.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing to the members of the coalition.
Terms and Conditions
The Communication Officer will work on a retained basis for a trial period of 3 months with the possibility of an extension.
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and cover letter before January 14, 2019 to:
International Land Coalition (ILC) c/o Konsorsium Pembaruan Agraria. Komplek Liga Mas Blok E3 no.1. Jalan Pancoran Indah 1. Pancoran, Jakarta Selatan. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org