Internship Land Rights Now
The Oxfam Novib Academy is looking for a student passionate about creating social change through worldwide campaigns.
Ideally, the student should have knowledge of communications strategies and/or land rights. The internship will last 4-6 months for at least 3 days a week.
Support to Land Rights Now: A Global Call to Action on Indigenous and community land rights
Start Date: 1st February 2019
Oxfam Novib is a worldwide development organisation. We are a proud member of Oxfam, a global confederation that has a shared commitment towards reducing poverty and striving for a just world. We are looking for students who get excited about obtaining experience on how international development cooperation works, the challenges we face and the inspirational results we see every day.
As Oxfam Novib, we are looking for students who can bring in new, state-of-the–art knowledge and fresh perspectives on social change to help up strengthen the cutting-edge nature of our programmes and credibility of our campaigns. We expect you to assist us in systematic documentation, analysis and/ or publication of our own data and external research. We expect that you will translate your insights into recommendation to improve our programmes and/or campaigns. You can also be asked to take up logistical, communication and administration tasks in support of the day-to-day work of your new colleagues.
In the context of our work on the GROW Campaign, the Oxfam Novib Academy, for Spring 2019 has identified the need for campaign support in the area of indigenous and community land rights, as a contribution to the Land Rights Now campaign (more info on: www.landrightsnow.org).
In particular, work in this area should focus on:
- Supporting campaigning and communications including producing content for social media and the website and helping with the development of international campaign support for campaigns lead by Indigenous Peoples and local communities.
- Contribute to movement building by engaging with participant organizations and individual supporters of Land Rights Now to identify common actions as well as introducing unusual suspects to the campaign, such as youth networks and urban audiences
Key deliverables tasks of the position
- Create robust and engaging content for the campaign which contributes to increased visibility and engagement on social media.
- Contact organizations and communities that are part of Land Rights Now from Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe and North America and encourage them to contribute content to the campaign and participate in relevant events.
- Well-founded recommendations as to how to improve the strategies and/or activities of our campaign LandRightsNow.
- Registration at a College or University in The Netherlands;
- Excellent writing skills in English and preferably also French and/or Spanish;
- A good understanding of communications and campaigns, knowledge of land rights a plus.
- Strong analytical skills, you are result-oriented and are a team player;
- Strong computer skills and preferably also knowledge of basic graphic design programs (Photoshop, InDesign)
- Excellent (intercultural) communication skills, including blogging, micro-blogging and social media;
- Ability to interact with a variety of people, including grassroots activists, researchers, NGO professional, UN officers;
- Excellent skills to network both internal and external;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- You are passionate about social justice and creating lasting positive change
What we offer
- Mentoring and Supervision by Oxfam Novib staff
- Participation in the Oxfam Novib Academy which offers learning and interaction with other like-minded student interns and facilitates personal and professional development
- Access to a global network of experienced staff and partners
- Work experience at an internationally based NGO and a professional reference if desired
How to Apply
If you are interested and want to apply for the job please press the ‘apply’ button, on or before the 25th of November 2018 (we don’t process applications received by e-mail). Please include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivational Letter with specific reference to the research area of your choice and how it relates to your area of study
In case you are selected you will be required to present a a letter of a College and/or University lecturer who is committed to be your contact person at the University for academic guidance (begeleider).
For questions about this vacancy please email us at email@example.com.
Please note that to be eligible for all internships at Oxfam Novib, you need to be enrolled in a university or an educational institution for the entire duration of the internship. This is non-negotiable.